1 any of numerous sun-loving low-growing evergreens of the genus Armeria having round heads of pink or white flowers
2 extreme care in spending money; reluctance to spend money unnecessarily [syn: parsimony, parsimoniousness, penny-pinching]
- Rhymes with: -ɪft
- The characteristic of using a
minimum of something
- To save money, they would shop at a thrift store.
- A bank.
- Any of various plants of the genus Armeria, particularly Armeria maritima.
characteristic of using a minimum of something
- Dutch: bank
various plants of the genus Armeria
- Dutch: Armeria, Engels gras
Thrift can refer to:
- A generic term for Savings and loan association in the United States
- Thrift (plant) a plant in the genus Armeria that have pink or white flowers; the term is especially used to refer to Armeria maritima
- Thrift (protocol), a software framework for remote procedure calls developed at Facebook
- A former brand used by Irish supermarket chain Superquinn for its generic grocery products
austerity, austerity program, canniness, care, carefulness, chariness, economic planning, economicalness, economizing, economy, economy of means, false economy, forehandedness, frugality, frugalness, good management, husbandry, management, miserliness, niggardliness, parsimoniousness, parsimony, penuriousness, providence, prudence, prudential administration, saving, scrimping, skimping, sparingness, stinginess, thriftiness, tight purse strings, unwastefulness